16 June 2017



46  Japan –Yukio Mishima – Spring Snow (Score 6.83)

I have had this book for many years, and never picked it up because I had the feeling that Mishima was a difficult read. I was right, and I was wrong. His writing is, in general, easy to read. However, I found myself skipping extended sections dealing with reincarnations, the detailed differences between Buddhist sects, and other Eastern beliefs.

Two Siamese princes have a minor role in the story.

The story revolves round four people. Kiyoaki Matsugae is the son of a Marquis, his friend Shigekuni Honda, his tutor Iinuma, and his on-off girlfriend Satoko. We are told that Kiyoaki and Shigekuni were eleven years old at the end of the Russo-Japanese war, won by Japan, and are 18 at the beginning of the story.

Mishima’s description of Kiyoaki is such that I wondered if he reflects Mishima’s own feelings and approach to life. There are constant reminders of Kioyaki’s effeminate appearance, even as he approaches adulthood.

Iinuma appears to be a war-mongering type of person as he keeps harping on about the violence of life in the Time of the Warring States in Japan, which was brought to an end by the victory of Tokugawa Ieyasu. Ieyasu and his descendants brought peace to Japan for hundreds of years, by closing the country to outsiders until the American assault on the country aimed at opening up Japan to American trade.

The story morphs into a tale of requited love then unrequited as the target of Kioyaki’s love Satoko enters a Buddhist monastery rather than marry the aristocrat arranged by the Imperial family.

All in all I was rather disappointed in the story. Mishima has such a reputation, but I could only give the book a score of six.